Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Natalie

On this day 25 years ago, my baby sister, Natalie Kay, passed away. She was 6 months old. She had beautiful brown eyes and lots of brown baby hair. She had a cleft pallet but you could still see her smile. Those smiles were rare, but gave us great joy. What made her little life most difficult was her undeveloped heart. She spent many days crying, which took so much breath that it made her turn blue. My Mom recalls holding her after she died and the peace that she finally had after all of the pain. I spent most of my time at my Mother's leg, holding her as she cried. My Mom still cries after all of these years. Now that I have my own babies, I understand why.

I was 7 but I remember it well. It was a time of much sadness, but I choose to remember her with joy. She was the 3rd baby girl in our family. Carrie was 2. Our cousin, Bryce, was just a few months younger. They took many pictures together. I think of Bryce, at age 25, with his sweet little family, and it makes me wonder. Would she be married or a career woman? What career would she have chosen? Would she have a baby, too? Boy or girl? Would she still have brown hair or highlights (like her sisters)? Would she live in Kansas or Texas? Would she be close to her little brother, Kasey or big sister, Carrie? I'm sure she and Carrie would have been best friends.

I love to think of her life in heaven. I always have. I can picture myself laying in my bed on Westfield street, praying that Jesus would tell Natalie "Hi" for me. I still do that sometimes. It just gives me comfort.

How awesome it will be to someday be with her there! I'm so thankful for the hope I have in that. I'm so thankful that God blessed my family with her little life. The joy of her life is greater than the pain. That is the peace we have in Christ Jesus.

Therefore, having been justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand,
and rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.
Romans 5:1 & 2