“The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”
Zephaniah
It is no secret among anyone that knows me, that when I wake up in the morning I am...for lack of a more appropriate word....grumpy. I have little to no control over what I say in the morning and although I've grown a filter with age, it is still, and may always be the worst time of the day for me.
This verse tells me that as I sleep The Lord, my God is watching. I can imagine His gentle face looking down at me, all peaceful and snuggly, with love in His eyes. Then I open my eyes. My first thought, though shameful and dreadfully pessimistic as it may be, is simply, "Ugh.", and depending on the day, I get up or I don't and hope the inevitable will just go away. I stumble around in all my human ugliness and trust in coffee, or more accurately caffeine, instead of Him or His Word.
And yet.....
He is there, watching me with that same love He has had in His eyes, since the first morning I woke up in this world, thirty-some years ago. :) And not only that, but He is taking "great delight" in me. In other words, I make Him laugh. I mean the kind of laugh that only parents can relate to, when their child is just so cute, adorable, and....delightful, that you can't help but giggle with joy.
Then as I go on through my day, anxiously busy trying to accomplish the day's small tasks, He stops me with thoughts of Him and His love. Different things make me pause, but EVERY day I think of Him. Sometimes it's only when I selfishly need Him, I know, but His Holy Spirit in me, stops me and all for one reason....So He could quiet me with His love.
The best part of this word picture is that He rejoices over me with singing. What do most of us do when we're completely thrilled about something awesome? We rejoice...and in my mind this means we dance. We kick up our heels and jump up and down, we throw our arms up in the air and shake our booties!
The Lord, my God dances over me. He is delighted by me. He sings over me.
This is love.
He loves me.....grumpy little me.