Something I've wanted to do for a while on this blog is to review some of my favorite books that I often quote in bible studies, recommend to anyone and basically, consider "must-reads" for all Christ-followers. While I assume your (and my) first priority is reading God's Word, these would be next on the list.
What's So Amazing About Grace? by Philip Yancey
As a lifelong church-goer, this book changed me. It led me closer to God as I could see more clearly what Christ came to earth to do, and what my purpose as His child really was. Growing up doing my best to be good enough yet (of course) always failing, I was hopeless and so judgmental. I could never reach the place I felt I was expected to and finally gave up trying. This quote is my favorite definition of grace and what so profoundly changed me:
"Grace means there is nothing we can do to make God love us more... and grace means there is nothing we can do to make God love us less." I love this. (By the way, I was reading this book in 2000 when we lived in South Carolina, as I was expecting my first baby girl....Grace Caroline.)
What's So Amazing About Grace opens with the sad story of a prostitute who came to a counselor for help. 'At last I asked if she had ever thought of going to a church for help. I will never forget the look of pure, naive shock that crossed her face. "Church!" she cried. "Why would I ever go there? I was already feeling terrible about myself. They'd just make me feel worse!"' Here's a song that reminds me of this book, and the reason that RiverPoint exists.
Riverpoint Church is truly a place where ANYONE can come, no matter where you've been, what you've done, how far from God you've been and find grace. You'll find grace-filled people, who've personally experienced His grace, so they're ready to share it! As soon as you pull up and walk in, you'll be welcome, you'll be seen, you'll be loved.