Friday, January 23, 2009

Luke's Name

It's amazing that when you name a child, you have no idea how perfect that name is at the time.  You only have a wrinkly little ball that screams, so you can't possibly know if the name fits or not.  My sister is notorious for naming her kids during the last 5 minutes of her stay in the hospital, when the nurses are saying, "Lady, you can't leave without giving the kid a name!", whereas I have named the child in week 8, or at least have 2 options depending on gender.  So how I chose his name... 
Luke:  strong, biblical, goes well with Martin, means "light", and in the Bible he was a Doctor, who wrote the most detail of the life of Christ.  Here's why this name fits so well:  Luke is strong-willed, bold and courageous.  He has the kind of personality that when walking into a room says, "Okay, I'm here!  The party can start now." without saying a word!  He IS light.  He talks non-stop.  Talk about details?  The boy doesn't get how to summarize and won't let you walk away until the end of the story/joke!  Whew!  He's smart and witty and fun.  He's Luke Ashton Martin.  He's my baby and he's 11 today.

Happy Birthday, Luke and thank you God for knowing and loving this child before I ever named him. 
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; 
you formed me in my mother's womb. 
I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking! 
Body and soul, I am marvelously made! 
I worship in adoration—what a creation!
Psalm 139 (MSG)