Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Comm.Un.I.Ca.Tion.

Starting in about jr.high, I used to LOVE filling in personal address books. I most likely had pink ones with pretty flowers and a divider for each letter of a last name. I could fill in my friend or family member's name, address, & phone number. That worked as far as I knew.

Then the world got all complicated on us.

Now I find myself wishing there were a way to get everyone to have ONE thing, and stick with it! I know, I'm old, but I just get confused lately.... Should we communicate via email or phone, facebook or blog comments, and do they text or just call, or is this a landline? To help you communicate with me, here's my list....

I text, but accept calls.
I text when it's not urgent or too complicated of a message. (Don't completely know the language, but I'm learning. With texting, it seems that grammar/spelling laziness is encouraged. So I'm learning to be lazy. Yikes.)
I check my email, and respond asap, from my phone and computer. (This is my favorite/preferred use of communication methods. Although, texting is coming in at a close 2nd lately.)
I check facebook a few times a day, from my computer, and sometimes my phone.
I don't fax and never have.
I don't twitter, but read my husband's.
I blog and read other blogs occasionally, especially those I subscribe to in my sweet little, time-efficient "Google Reader" on my igoogle homepage.

This reminds me of a line from a movie....Drew Barrymore's character in He's Just Not That Into You is talking about how guys break up with girls these days.

“I had this guy leave me a voice mail at work, so I called him at home, and then he emailed me to my BlackBerry, and so I texted to his cell, and now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It’s exhausting.”

Yes, it is.