Saturday, September 19, 2009

Rich Mullins

I remember being in a practice room at Friends hearing Rich play and sing this for the first time. It was an awesome moment I knew I didn't want to forget. Brad was with me and we sang with him once we learned it. I've sung it in my mind many times since when I'm nervous or afraid. It's a simple prayer with powerful heart-changing lyrics. I didn't know Rich very well but I do know He spent a LOT of time seeking God, learning more about God from reading His Word, spending time with God and reading great works of others who knew Him. He was a genius with a realness about him that made him so complex and unusual. He strongly smelled of patchouli cologne, so even if he'd been there minutes earlier you knew it. It was fun to go to school with him, but Jim Smith's book "An Arrow Pointing to Heaven" made me wish I'd known him better.

He died 12 years ago today.