To her, everything is new and wildly fantastic. I can't wait for the holidays to see her eyes shine with wonder at the lights and trees and snow! She is fascinated by the simplest things.
I have 2 tweens.
They are increasingly less fascinated, but still find new things that excite them. Grace has lately been fascinated by horses. She has checked out every book in the library about them and can't wait to ride one! Luke has recently read a book that taught him how to play chess. He wants a set for Christmas, along with an electric guitar, and can't wait to play both of them for hours on end.
I miss being fascinated by simple things. I miss that wonder and newness of life.
I am anxiously anticipating a trip to Oregon to see my sweet friend, Betsy.
In high school, we were inseparable. We went church together; we were in pep club and then the drill team together. We listened to Edie Brickell and 10,000 Maniacs and Amy Grant and Bryan Adams together. (Everything I do, I do it for you...*girly sigh*) We were in the high school musical together. (Not that one! Ours were the originals AND they were good.) We watched Dirty Dancing a million times and Pretty Woman, a zillion! We decided together not to go to "those" parties and had fun just by going to the grocery store late at night, once we could drive. We had deep conversations about God and life and of course, boys. I think I always looked up to her because she was deeply rooted in God. She drew out the Joy in me and taught me to look for it in the simple things of life. We giggled a lot, but looking back I think we were closer than your average teenaged girls. We had a sister-like bond. We searched for Him together....through church, youth group, church camp, winter ski trips and other "mountain top" highs. We prayed together during times of trouble or fear. We experienced Him in the dailiness of high school and then tearfully said good-bye, hoping to stay in contact forever. We've maybe seen each other 3 times since, but we've kept in touch through letters, phone, email and now facebook.
I was thinking about why I am so excited to spend time with her again. I have always wanted to visit Oregon. She moved there without hesitation after spending her whole life in Texas. I was impressed at her adventurous spirit and also mystified at the attraction, so I'm looking forward to seeing where she lives and why she loves it. I am also looking forward to seeing her as a mommy. She has 3 beautiful little girls that look just like her and I'm sure they adore her. But I think I'm mostly looking forward to the giggles and comfort and a friendship that's easy; to spending time with someone who reminds me of the days when life was carefree, joy was found in the grocery store and the love between friends was pure, simple and refreshing.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:12
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:12