Sunday, December 20, 2009

For PKs of the world

People are disappointing. They will stab you in the back. They will befriend you only to judge you, then leave. They will see you around town but pretend they don't. They will speak lies against your family. They will not give you grace. People will disappoint you.

Being the pastor's kid comes with this reality. My heart breaks thinking that this is the lesson learned from serving church people for so many years. My heart can take this reality because of the scabbed over wounds of the past, but my children I want to protect. I want to guard their fragile hearts.

Brad & I are reading A.W. Tozer books over this holiday together. In "The Pursuit of God" Tozer talks about relationships which reminds me of this and how I can teach my children to survive this reality of disappointment.

In determining relationships we must begin somewhere. There must be somewhere a fixed center against which everything else is measured, where the law of relativity does not enter and we can say "IS" and make no allowances. Such a center is God. When God would make His name known to mankind He could find no better word than "I AM." when we speak of Him we say, "He is"; when we speak to Him we say, "Thou art." Everyone and everything else measures from that fixed point. "I AM THAT I AM," (Exodus 3:14) says God, "I change not" (Malachi 3:6)

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8
This is the promise I'm standing on and committing to teach my children.