Sunday, May 02, 2010

Resting

Today was the first time in 14 years of being married to a minister, that I actually "rested" on the Sabbath Day. I mean really rested. I've taken naps after church before. I don't mean that kind of rest. I didn't even nap today. I just....rested.

Brad has been off this week, taking a bit of a rest from work. Planting a church is hard work. My husband is a hard worker, no matter what he does. He can't put just half of his heart into anything, but even more so when it comes to His passion for leading people to Jesus. He still did a wedding, led a couple of prayer meetings and had quite a few "phone meetings", so it wasn't complete rest, but I'm really proud of him for seeing the need to stop and stay home more. He's done things around our house that I've had on a list since we moved here in September. For instance, I now once again have my beloved porch swing. Ahhhh....bring on the sweet tea! I also have a new mailbox and lovely flowers planted around it. (I did the flowers...part of my restful Sunday.)

The other day he sent me a document via email. It was simple. It just said....

Fills Drains


....Followed by a series of lines below. He has been reading "Leading on Empty", and explained to me that he wanted to know what fills me and what drains me. Once we have it figured out, he said we'll go out on a date and discuss it.

Can I just stop here and say....Wow! I love that man! I love that he reads books like this and thinks of me and wants to work on our marriage and wants to spend time with me....*pause for daydreamy love montage set to Air Supply's "Even the Nights Are Better"*

Okay, I'm back.

So then I read a blogger friend's post about this book and it inspired me to list these things right here on this here blog! Susanne's post will also explain the book mores since she has read it, and I have not.

Fills Me:

  • Time with God
  • Reading
  • Singing
  • Exercising
  • Being Outdoors
  • Free time
  • One-on-One Time w/loved ones
  • Blogging/Writing
  • Creativity
  • Shopping
  • Intellectual/Spiritual Conversations
  • Being Inspired
  • Giving Advice
  • Laughter, serious belly laughter
  • Sleep
Drains Me:
  • Being a Leader
  • Trying to stay organized
  • Housework/Unending tasks
  • Things that don't seem to ever get checked off the list
  • Nagging people/Nagging thoughts
  • Crowds
  • Expectations
  • People who Judge
  • Money Frustrations
  • Schedules
  • Manipulators
  • Ignorance
  • Deadlines
  • Trying to have a conversation with people who mumble
  • Negativity or "Debbie Downers"

So what fills you? I hope to rest more often with the things that fill me. Mostly, I hope to continue to be filled with and rest in the love of Christ, so that this list of things that fill me become the icing on the cake, and make dealing with the things that drain me....like buttah.

Eph.3:17-19

I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.