Friday, January 07, 2011

Supportive

When I was in high school, I was in Wranglerettes, the jr/sr drill team.  If you didn't grow up in Texas, then you aren't impressed at all.  You may not know what a BIG DEAL drill team is and how hard it is to make the team and how drill competitions are as big as football games.  Okay not really.  Nothing in Texas is as big as football.  But drill teams make those football games' halftime so much more colorful and FABulous!

At the Senior Mother/Daughter banquet, it is customary for each senior drill member to stand up and thank her mom for all that she's done during her high school years.  You can probably gather that there are many tears and mushy moments....and you'd be right.  It's a mush fest.  I wasn't a big fan of mush.  (Since I married Mr. Mush himself, I think I may have changed just a bit....but not much.)  So the night before the banquet, I sat in my room (I can still remember this.) and wrote this poem for my mom...

A common thing in Wranglerettes is to create cheese
But common more in daily life is for our mom's to please
This ritual of finding words for seniors and their moms
became a bit annoying cuz our moms are just our moms
Get ready next year, juniors, cuz already I can see
that all your moms are supportive and don't take much to please
And Mama Schaaf is leaving cuz now she's mama for real
and it's important that she's there for them because they need to feel
the love that our moms gave to us from Ema and Ty's age up to now
She'll be a wonderful mommy cuz on all of us she learned how
I chose the word supportive and then I thought of....brassierre
cuz she's kinda like my bra in ways (now don't think I'm too weird)
Seriously, just think about it, it really is no lie
She works all day and rests at night just like this bra of mine
Now she does compare in most ways but there is on major exception
my bra is large as you can see, but she is sheer perfection
Just like my big brassiere she lets me know she's here
dancing, singing, acting, breathing...she always will be there
Supporting me and hugging me for everything I do
and when she's happy she bounces, just like these two