Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Day to Remember

On the 15th anniversary of becoming a mommy I collided with the biggest challenge of my mommyhood. Grace's tests showed Crohns and she was admitted to the hospital. I think it felt like an earthquake happened in our little consultation room when the doctor told us that. I had my bible opened to Isaiah 43 and it was as if those pages were all I had to see and touch to be still and safe in the midst of that earthquake.

January is ordinarily such a calm month. Calendaring, making soup, planning Luke's birthday and trying to stay warm are usually all of the main events.

Prayer warriors are lifting me up or I'd be a basket case right now. (what does that term even mean?) It's dark in this room and my baby is sleeping but I can't. This must be one of those times when it's good to have some of God's Words stored away in my heart, even if they aren't exact like "The Lord will go before me. Do not be afraid. The Lord himself will fight for you." He will fight for us. We don't have to. Praising Him for a diagnosis I can grab onto and move forward with. The unknown had me all baskety-casey. (See that doesn't work.) And Grace seems to be taking things in bits at a time, as she should. Her big tears came while calling her brother to tell him happy birthday. She misses him! Her little sister cannot come see her because she's too young and there's a strict rule because of flu season, so she is bummed about that but I'm sure Moriah will make lots of pictures to decorate her room!
She knows her tummy is going to heal but she is not happy about NOT eating or drinking for a while. She knows she could be here a week or so but the iv in her hand is what bugs her the most. This is a teaching hospital so my normally easygoing girl had seen one too many doctors when she decided she was ready to punch one in the face! She may be in for a wild ride on this collision course but I'm right here with her and our God promises to never let go...through the calm and through the storm, in every high and every low.

Isaiah 43 (SAL version) when you pass through this time in Grace's life, I will be with you.